Sunday, July 6, 2014

Legendary Tone: My Rig

Legendary Tone:

My Rig


While my guitar tone isn't consider legendary, I decided to take time to write a blog piece on my own rig that I use for the studio and live situations. 

My favorite guitar player is David Gilmour of Pink Floyd; so I've tried my best to build a pedal board that will both, cover my favorite Pink Floyd sounds while also being versatile enough to cover a wide range of music. I play Pink Floyd music for fun, but playing live obligates me to play music by many other groups and for this reason, my pedals must be versatile.

My guitar is a Fender 1957 reissue Stratocaster. It is modeled after the guitar that David Gilmour is currently using. It is fitted with Fender '69 Custom Shop Single Coil pick-ups and a custom switched that I had installed in order to combine with neck and bridge pickup simultaneously. All of the hardware was replaced including the whammy bar, which was replaced by a shortened version like Gilmour's.

My current amp is a Fender HotRod DeVille. This is a highly sought after amp that is versatile on many levels. It has a good amount of headroom, which is essential to the way I set my tone.

My main distortion units are a ProCo vintage RAT and a North Effects clone of an Electro Harmonix 1972 Violet Ram's Head Big Muff. These can be used for anything from Smashing Pumpkins to Jimmy Hendrix.

For Overdrive I use a Fulltone OCD and a Colorsound Overdriver. The OCD I use for crunch tones a la Jimmy Page, while I use the Colorsound for a clean boost.

My modulation effects are: An EHX Electric Mistress, Fulltone Uni-Vibe, and an MXR Phase 90 Script. These can be used for anything from the Police to Robin Trower. These are very versatile pedals. 

Finally one of my favorite pedals on my board is my TC Electronic Flashback delay. I have mentioned this delay previously because it has almost everything you would want in a delay unit. And TC Electronics has been the leading company in delay effects manufacturing for many years.

These pedals give off as much of the Pink Floyd sound as I want while also allowing for highly versatile tones when needed.

     


No comments:

Post a Comment